Zotero is a free, open-source reference manager that integrates within your web browser to store all your references and it also works with Microsoft Word very well. The simplicity of Zotero makes it my number one choice as a reference manager. Things to do beforehand 1.
Communication Error or Non-Responsive Plugin Buttons
If you see one of the following errors:
- Zotero Standalone, when installed properly, automatically integrates with Microsoft Word. If you are unable to access the Zotero tools in Word after installing Zotero, follow these instructions: Save any unsaved work in Microsoft Word, then quit Word Go to your Zotero Preferences (Edit Preferences in Windows, Zotero Preferences in macOS).
- Before doing that, however, try retarting your computer and reinstalling the Zotero Word plugin and make sure that Word is not open. If that resolves the problem it is easier than reinstalling Word. The good news, if you are a WWU student or faculty member, is that you can download and install an up-to-date copy of Word from your Microsoft 365.
'Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure Zotero is running and try again.'
'Could not find a running Word instance.'
or the plugin appears and buttons are clickable, but no insert citation window appears, try the following steps:
- Ensure that Zotero Word for Windows Integration is enabled in Tools → Add-ons → Extensions in Zotero.
- Make sure that you're running Zotero as the same user as in Word. The plugin may fail, for example, if Zotero is run as an administrator while Word is run as a regular user. For security and stability reasons, you should typically not run any software as an administrator.
- Try temporarily disabling any security software you're running, which could interfere with the connection between Word and Zotero.
- Windows plugins communicate with Zotero using the remote window. Thus, launching Zotero with the -no-remote command-line option will prevent the plugin from functioning. (You might do this accidentally if you have multiple Zotero profiles.) The solution is to remove the -no-remote command-line option from the shortcut used to launch the Zotero profile (this flag should never be used with Zotero).
Zotero Thread Not Appearing in the Word Ribbon
If you're using Microsoft Office Starter Edition, the Zotero Word integration isn't supported.
Check if the Zotero plugin is correctly installed
- Open Word Options.
- Choose Customize Ribbon.
- On the right pane, click on the Developer tab.
- Close the options; in the new Developer tab, click on Word Add-ins.
- Make sure that Zotero.dotm is present and checkmarked.
If Zotero.dotm is present and ticked under Word Add-ins
- Open Word Options.
- Choose Trust Centre; in the pane click on Trust Centre Settings..
- Under Add-ins, make sure that Require Application Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher and Disable all Application Add-ins are unchecked.
- Restart Word.
How do i download amazon prime video to my mac. If the Zotero thread still isn't appearing after following these steps, go back to the Trust Centre Settings and click on Disable all macros with notification under Macro Settings. Restart Word and see if you get a notification asking for macro permissions.
If Zotero.dotm is NOT present under Word Add-ins
- Go into Zotero → Tools → Add-ons and make sure that Zotero Word for Windows Integration is enabled. If it is disabled, enable it and restart Word.
- If Zotero Word for Windows Integration is missing entirely from the Add-ons window, see Zotero toolbar doesn't appear.
- Go into Zotero Preferences → Cite → Word Processors and click on Install Word for Windows Add-in. Restart Word.
Zotero Word Extension
If Zotero the thread isn't present in Word, check whether it's available under Word Add-ins, and, if so, follow the section above. If it still doesn't show up in Word Add-ins, you should attempt a manual installation.
Word 2010: Could not find a running Word instance
If you install Zotero with Word 2010 and receive an error stating
'Zotero experienced an error updating your document. [zoteroWinWordIntegration Exception.. 'Could not find a running Word instance.' code: '0' function: 'zoteroWinWordDocument::initFromActiveObject' location: '.zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp']'
you may be experiencing an issue related to your Word 2010 installation method. Microsoft distributes a set of Click-to-Run versions of Office 2010 that are configured to run within their own virtual environment. Unfortunately, this virtual environment prohibits Zotero from communicating with these Word instances, producing an error.
Zotero Microsoft Academic
You can fix this problem by switching your copy of Office 2010 from a Click-to-Run installation to a standard (MSI-based) installation. This process doesn't require an additional license. To do so, follow the steps under the Workaround heading on this Microsoft Support page.
You may also experience this error if you're running either Word or Zotero as Administrator or in a compatibility mode in Windows Vista or 7 or if security software is interfering with Zotero's ability to communicate with Word.
Run-time error '5097': Word has encountered a problem.
This issue affects users of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. To fix it you will need to change your regional format to English:
- In Windows settings go to the page for Region, which has settings for Regional format.
- Change that setting to English (United States) or English (United Kingdom).
- Restart Word.
'This command is not available because no document is open'
Zotero's Word add-on currently doesn't work for documents in OneDrive. Move your document to a different folder. Other cloud-syncing services such as Dropbox or Google Drive aren't affected (note that Zotero documents should not be opened or edited in Google Drive's word processor as this will break Zotero citations. See this thread on the Zotero forums for details and developments.
Citations remain in endnotes when switching to in-text style
When switching from a note-based style set to Endnotes under Set Document Preferences to a style that produces in-text citations (author-date or numeric), the citations remain in endnotes.
Workaround: Before switching to the in-text style, click on Set Document Preferences in the Word add-on and switch the format to Footnotes. Then switch to the in-text style. If you already switched to the in-text style and are seeing this issue, switch back to the note-based style you were using, toggle to Footnotes, and switch back.
FREE ZOTERO STORAGE SPACE
New for 2019-20, Hope College Zotero users have access to Unlimited Storage Space on Zotero's cloud servers.
To join Hope's Zotero Institutional Storage plan, you must have your 1Hope email address associated with your Zotero account. If you did not register for Zotero with your 1Hope email, view the step-by-step screenshots below to learn how to add a second email address to your existing Zotero account.
ADD A SECOND EMAIL ADDRESS TO YOUR ZOTERO ACCOUNT
1. Go to the Zotero website and log in to your existing account with your current email address or user name.
2. Choose 'Settings' from the upper right-hand corner of the window.
Zotero Microsoft Plugin
3. Within your Zotero Settings, choose the 'Account' tab. Next, scroll down to add an additional email to your existing Zotero account (for example, an @hope.edu email). Finish by choosing 'Add' You should receive a confirmation email in your 1Hope email account verifying your new email account. Click on the confirmation link in that email.
4. Once you have added an 1Hope email address to your Zotero account, your storage settings should automatically be updated to reflect the unlimited storage space you receive as a member of the Hope College Zotero Institutional Storage plan.