System requirements for office 2016 for mac. Luckily, Word has useful tools for adding footnotes and endnotes to your writing. Scrivener counts only those words toward your target, and if you’re importing text into the Binder it doesn’t increase the word count within the session. To create a footnote in Word, first of all position the cursor at the end of the sentence (usually, but they can go mid-sentence if needed of course) that your note will refer to.
- How To Not Include Footnotes In Your Word Count For Word On Mac Shortcut
- How To Not Include Footnotes In Your Word Count For Word On Mac Download
- How To Not Include Footnotes In Your Word Count For Word On Mac Keyboard
Footnotes and endnotes both offer a way to add extra information to an essay. But what should you include in footnotes and endnotes? And when should you use them? In this post, we run through everything you need to know about using footnotes and endnotes in essays.
What Are Footnotes and Endnotes?
Footnotes appear at the bottom or ‘foot’ of the page. This lets you add information to an essay without interrupting the flow of the main text. Usually, this will be a citation or non-essential commentary.
Offline Address Book Office For Mac 2016. To indicate a footnote, you will need to add a superscript number to the text, such as at the end of this sentence.1 These numbers then correspond to numbered notes at the bottom of the page.
Endnotes are like footnotes, but they appear together at the end of the document rather than at the bottom of individual pages. This means endnotes are less immediately accessible for the reader than footnotes, but it helps ensure that pages with multiple notes don’t become cluttered. If you are not sure which to use, check your university style guide for advice.
Footnotes and Endnotes in Microsoft Word
To insert a footnote or endnote in a Microsoft Word document, you need to:
- Go to References > Footnotes on the main ribbon
- Select either Insert Footnote or Insert Endnote as required
- Type your note in the newly created footnote/endnote
You can also customise the style of footnotes and endnotes by clicking on the little arrow in the bottom right of the Footnotes section of the References tab (or by going to Insert > Footnotes in Word for Mac). This will open a new window where you can select your preferred formatting options.
Find this useful?
Subscribe to our newsletter and get writing tips from our editors straight to your inbox.
When to Use Footnotes and Endnotes
The main uses of footnotes and endnotes are as follows:
- To add a footnote citation in referencing systems such as MHRA and Chicago, with full source information also given in a bibliography at the end of the document. Endnotes are also used for citations in some systems, such as in IEEE or Vancouver referencing, where numbers in the text point to an entry in a reference list at the end of the document.
- To add non-essential commentary on something in the main text of your document. For example, if your research has raised a question that is not directly relevant to your essay, you may want to mention it in a footnote or endnote instead. This lets you acknowledge it in your work – showing the reader that you haven’t simply ignored it or failed to notice something – but without interrupting the flow of the main document.
Keep in mind, too, that some referencing systems use in-text parenthetical citations. As such, you should only give references in footnotes or endnotes if your university has asked you to do this.
Do They Count Towards the Word Limit?
How To Not Include Footnotes In Your Word Count For Word On Mac Shortcut
We’re often asked whether to include footnotes and endnotes in the word count for an essay. Different universities have different rules about this, so you will have to check your style guide. However, you should never use footnotes or endnotes to try and cheat the word count.
How To Not Include Footnotes In Your Word Count For Word On Mac Download
The key here is that only non-essential information should go in footnotes or endnotes. As such, if you move vital evidence or analysis to a footnote, the person marking your work may ignore it. And reducing the word count is never more important than putting forward a full, coherent argument.
How To Not Include Footnotes In Your Word Count For Word On Mac Keyboard
If you do need to reduce the word count in an essay, you have other options, such as rewriting wordy sentences or cutting repetition. Having your work proofread is a great way to ensure that your writing is always clear and concise, too, so let us know if you’d like any help.